5th Grade Field Trips:
The 5th Grade Class of 2018 has many exciting activities and field trips planned this year. Courreges PTA has been a very important factor in keeping these programs alive and funded for our students. And as you may already know, with new laws in place, schools may no longer require families to pay for school activities, only donations can be requested. Our donation goal this year for 5th grade is $34,000 which will cover the costs associated with the great activities scheduled.
- Outdoor Education: Cost per student = $310
- Tiger Woods Center: Daily transportation for one week per student = $40
- All other 5th grade activities and field trips will be funded with general PTA funds.
- Less fundraising done in the 16-17 school year at $30.00
- Total suggested donation = $320 per student
(starting July 1, 2017)
For any questions about donations please contact Christine Nguyen, our 17-18 5th grade coordinator.
Courreges students and staff have enjoyed the tradition of attending Arrowhead Ranch for more than 8 years. Their time away at camp is not only educational, but a time of personal growth, development, and independence.
Camp dates are: Tuesday March 27th – Friday March 30th, 2018
This year, the cost of camp and transportation is estimated to be $310 per student less $30 already raised in the 16-17 4th grade fundraisers. The suggested donation is $280 for the Arrowhead Ranch Camp.
In this immersive program, children will hike, hear, see, feel, touch and smell science ideas and concepts outside of the classroom. They are able to interact with nature and their surroundings. The hands-on alternative learning style is very effective in internalizing these science concepts into the lives of the children.
The Outdoor Science School science education program emphasizes:
* The biological sciences
* The earth sciences
* Conservation and wise use of natural resources
* Recreation, arts, crafts and music
* Health education
* Cooperative living
Specific science classes include Botany, Geology, Astronomy, Meteorology/Water Cycle, Ecology, Habitats & Adaptations, Energy, Native American Studies, and the Night Hike which covers many nocturnal science ideas and principles.
For more information on Arrowhead Ranch, please visit: http://arrowheadkidscamp.com
Forms to complete
17-18 5th Medication-Authorization-english fillable (Required if your child will take prescription meditation to be given at camp. Required turn in date to follow.
- Send 2 pieces of baggage – one suitcase (with their name on it) and one trash bag with name on it for their sleeping bag (or sheets and blanket for a twin bed) and pillow and put a second trash bag with their name on it for the return trip home
- OK to send a disposable camera with name on it. They don’t recommend a digital or standard camera
- LABEL EVERYTHING
- Thursday night is skit night.
- Showers are only 3 minutes long so start practicing
- They are not in cabins – it’s one big building with a main hall and rooms off of it with bathrooms.
- Buffet style meals – can have as much as they want as long as they clean their plate each time.
- Drink lots of water – 5 bottles a day.
- Send no food or snacks, they will be confiscated.
- Medications – see forms on website – they do have over the counter meds available to students – if your student takes prescriptions you’ll need to have your doctor sign a form – form is above.
- Pills/Inhalers/Epi-pens must be in the original container – if sending pills – just send enough for the week in the original bottle
- No electronics.
- Multiple schools will be there - they're only together for meals.
- Showers are in buildings not outside.
- Students choose rooming assignments but teachers regulate it and make adjustments.
- Teachers will be with them and participate in the activities
- Suggested mailing letters to them a few days before they leave as mail is slow on the mountain – keep it upbeat and happy and not how much you are missing them to lessen any homesickness. Mailing address is above.
- Packing list, consent forms, RX forms are above.
Tiger Woods Learning Center
This year our 5th grade students will also visit the Tiger Woods Learning Center for a week of immersive STEM learning. This a a day camp, students will be bused from and to Courreges daily.
Day Camp dates are: Monday November 13th – Friday November 17, 2017 - no camp on Thursday
Students participate in Crime Lab 101 or Marine Science. Crime Lab teaches students about forensic science, providing them with hands-on activities such as fingerprinting, DNA analysis and chromatography. Marine Science includes exploration of oceanic regions, squid dissection, analysis of sand samples and marine life classification.
Meanwhile, their regular classroom teacher receives our unique STEM professional development program that includes building content knowledge, a lending library and ongoing support. This week-long training provides ways to incorporate positive youth development, science and the use of technology in a regular classroom environment. Found out more about the program HERE.
Students will need to send a sack lunch each day of the program. They also need to wear "golf attire" boys polo or collared shirts, tucked in with a belt and girls in nice pants or skirts.
This program is free and the suggested donation of $40 will cover transportation costs to and from the Irvine facility for the week long program.
Other 5th grade activities funded by the pta
Walk Through the American Revolution, Knott's Berry Farm/Independence Hall, Duck's First Flight, Eco Science, the Philharmonic, End of Year Celebration, and the Pancake Breakfast.
Does your company do corporate matching? Find out more information HERE and is if they can help with your donation.